Providence Reds (Hockey team) (1926-1977)
- Existence: 1926 - 1977
The Providence Reds were a hockey team that played in the Canadian-American Hockey League (CAHL) between 1926 and 1936 and the American Hockey League (AHL) from 1936 to 1977, the last season of which they played as the Rhode Island Reds. The team won the Calder Cup in 1938, 1940, 1949, and 1956. The Reds played at the Rhode Island Auditorium, located on North Main Street in Providence, Rhode Island, from 1926 through 1972, when the team affiliated with the New York Rangers and moved into the newly built Providence Civic Center. The team name came from the rooster known as the Rhode Island Red.
When the North American Hockey League folded in 1977, the Broome Dusters acquired the Reds franchise and moved them to Binghamton, New York, where they were known as the Binghamton Dusters, Binghamton Whalers, and Binghamton Rangers. In 1997 the franchise was sold to Madison Square Garden and then moved to become the Hartford Wolf Pack. On November 27, 2010, they were renamed the Connecticut Whale to honor the NHL's Hartford Whalers.
The AHL returned to Providence in 1992 in the form of the Providence Bruins.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
These records consist of team & player photgraphs dating primarily from the 1950's to the 1970's, legislative proclamations pertaining & sixteen (16) oversize scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings documenting the Providence/Rhode Islands Reds hockey team seasons 1968 - 1977.