Skip to main content

Rhode Island (1636-)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1636-

The name was first officially applied to the island on March 13, 1644 in these words: “Aquethneck shall be henceforth called the Ile of Rods or Rhod-Island.” The name “Isle of Rodes” is found used in a legal document as late as 1646. In 1663 the name “Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations” was adopted in the Royal Charter granted by King Charles II of England.

For more visit the State Library's Rhode Island History