World War I Bonus Cards
Scope and Contents
Sequential record of payments to veterans of the First World War maintained by the General Treasurer pursuant to act of the legislature creating the Soldiers' Bonus Board. Includes name address of applicant or beneficiary; unit, station or branch of service attached, date application filed date $100.00 bonus approved.
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
No special restrictions unless otherwise specified.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is in the public domain unless otherwise specified. We reserve the right to restrict reproduction of materials due to preservation concerns.
Biographical / Historical
Soldiers' Bonus Board established by Public Law 1920, Chapter 1832 “An Act in Recognition of the Patriotic Services of Residents of the State who served in the Army and Navy of the United States During the War with Germany” House Bill – 501, approved January 9, 1920. Board appointed by the Governor with advice consent of the Senate consisted of Captain Edgar R. Barker serving as Chairman, Captain Norman S. Case Henry Fletcher. John F Murphy. W. Russell Dower appointed by the Board to serve as Secretary Paymaster. At a special election held February 10, 1920, $2,500,000 soldiers’ bonus loan approved by the voters 10,535 to 1,303. Applicants required to file for payments prior to December 31, 1920 with approved disbursements allocated between May 1-July 1, 1921. General Treasurer ordered to maintain record of each person to whom payment made. Upon termination of payments Soldiers’ Bonus Board directed to turn over all books, records and documents to the Secretary of State.
8.7 Cubic Feet ; Cards 3" x 5"
World War I bonus payments issued by State of Rhode Island to commissioned officers, enlisted men, field clerks and army navy nurses who served honorably in the service of the United States April 6, 1917 through Nov. 11, 1918.
Alphabetical by surname with sub grouping by first name
No accruals are anticipated at this time.
- state government records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rhode Island. Treasury Department (1663-) (Organization)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Box: 1. World War I Bonus Cards (A-Br) (Text)
- Box: 2. World War I Bonus Cards (Br-Co) (Text)
- Box: 3. World War I Bonus Cards (Cr-Fa) (Text)
- Box: 4. World War I Bonus Cards (Fa-Ha) (Text)
- Box: 5. World War I Bonus Cards (Ha-Ki) (Text)
- Box: 6. World War I Bonus Cards (Kn-McA) (Text)
- Box: 7. World War I Bonus Cards (McA-Pa) (Text)
- Box: 8. World War I Bonus Cards (Pa-Sa) (Text)
- Box: 9. World War I Bonus Cards (Sa-U) (Text)
- Box: 8. World War I Bonus Cards (V-Z), Officers (A-Ma) (Text)
- Box: 9. World War I Bonus Cards: Officers (Mc-Z); Officers Deceased/Wounded (A-Z); Enlisted Men Deceased (A-Z); Enlisted Men Wounded (A-D, E, F) (Text)
- Box: 10. World War I Bonus Cards: Enlisted Men Wounded (D, E, F-Z); Discharges (A-Z); Marines (A-Z) (Text)
Part of the Rhode Island State Archives Repository
33 Broad Street
Providence RI 02903 USA