Commissioner of Industrial Statistics reports and publications
Scope and Contents
This series is of the reports and publications of the Bureau of Industrial Statistics and includes the annual reports by the Commissioner of Industrial Statistics and the RI Wage Earners publication, 1908
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
No special restrictions unless otherwise specified.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is in the public domain unless otherwise specified. We reserve the right to restrict reproduction of materials due to preservation concerns.
Biographical / Historical
In 1887, following the State’s third census, the position of Commissioner of Industrial statistics was established under PL 1887, chapter 621. Aside from tabulating statistical data regarding the state’s workforce, the Commissioner of Industrial Statistics also assumed the responsibilities of the Superintendent of the Census (see Chapter 63 of the 1882 Public Statutes). Additionally the commissioner was required to report statistical details to the General Assembly regarding “the condition of labor and business in all mechanical, manufacturing, commercial and other industrial businesses of the state especially in relation to the social, educational and sanitary condition of the laboring classes”.
In 1919 (Public Law Chapter 1741), the Commissioner’s title was changed to the Commissioner of Labor who took over all responsibilities formerly performed by the Commissioner of Industrial Statistics. The chapter also created the State Board of Labor whose duties was to report to the General Assembly any recommendations relating to the laws of the state regarding labor, promote mediation and conciliation of controversies and disputes between employees and employers and to avoid resort to strikes, lockouts, boycotts, blacklists, discriminations and legal proceeding in or arising out of such controversies and disputes and matters of employment. The board also prescribed rules of procedure and had the power to conduct investigations, to hold hearings and to summon witnesses. The commissioner reported monthly to the board in all matters relating to labor
1.52 Cubic Feet
No accruals are anticipated at this time.
1903 published annual report contains several images of factory housing. The 1905 edition contains many photographs.
1907 report bulletin II contains church statistics and religious preferences.
C#78 refers to General Assembly records, see RG01
1909 manuscript report is dated April 14 - content regarding freight rates from N.E. points west.
- Rhode Island. Bureau of Industrial Statistics (1887-1919) (Organization)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Box: Commissioner of Industrial Statistics annual reports (Published), 1887-1898 (Text)
- Box: Commissioner of Industrial Statistics annual reports (Published),1889-1910 (Text)
- Box: Commissioner of Industrial Statistics annual reports (Published), 1889, 1890, 1897, 1898 (Text)
- Folder: Commissioner of Industrial Statistics annual reports (Published), 1892 (Text)
- Box: Commissioner of Industrial Statistics annual reports (Published), 1899-1908 (Text)
- Box: Commissioner of Industrial Statistics annual reports (Published), 1907, 1909-1915 (Text)
- Box: Commissioner of Industrial Statistics annual reports (Published), 1922-1929 (Text)
- Folder: Rhode Island Wage Earners, 1908 (Text)
- Volume: Industrial Statistics annual reports 1899, 1906, 1907 (C#1049) (Text)
- Volume: -Industrial Statistics Annual Reports 1898; 1899. (Text)