Deputies and Freeman records
Scope and Contents
Annual town clerk returns of men chosen to act as deputies in the General Assembly & those admitted as “freeman” (free holders of lands, tenements or heredity) eligible to vote in town affairs.
- Creation: 1727-1778
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
No special restrictions unless otherwise specified.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is in the public domain unless otherwise specified. We reserve the right to restrict reproduction of materials due to preservation concerns.
Biographical / Historical
Enabling legislation, public law, February session, 1729 as codified, 1730, p. 209 “Act directing the admittance of freemen within the several towns of the colony”; public laws 1744, p. 182 “Act for choosing deputies annually.”
2.3 Cubic Feet (5 boxes)
Town returns of "freeman" admitted & men chosen to act as Deputies in the General Assembly
No accruals are anticipated at this time.
Existence and Location of Copies
microfilmed, 6 reels (C#00141 &C#00142)
GSU order #'s 934806; 934807; 934808; 953922; 953923; 953924.
Also name index, 3 x 5 card file
- Rhode Island (Colony) General assembly. (1663-1776) (Organization)
- Rhode Island. General Assembly (1643-) (Organization)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Box: Deputies and Freeman records: Index-Cranston (Text)
- Box: Deputies and Freeman records: Exeter-Little Compton (Text)
- Box: Deputies and Freeman records: Middletown-North Kingstown (Text)
- Box: Deputies and Freeman records: North Providence-Scituate (Text)
- Box: Deputies and Freeman records: Smithfield-Westerly (Text)