Dedication of Rhode Island's Twelve Million Dollar Emergency Public Works Program
A Record of Progress
Published by the Rhode Island Emergency Public Works Commission
- Creation: 1936
- Rhode Island. Emergency Public Works Commission (1933-) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
No special restrictions unless otherwise specified.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is in the public domain unless otherwise specified. We reserve the right to restrict reproduction of materials due to preservation concerns.
Biographical / Historical
With the approval of the National Industrial Recovery Act by the 77th Congress in June 1933, a nationwide program was begun to put men back to work in heavy construction industries for needed public works.
The Rhode Island Legislature passed an act creating the Emergency Public Works Commission on June 29, 1933. The Commission was authorized to direct and supervises a building and development program for Rhode Island. As of 1936 many public works projects were realized including additional buildings on the Howard campus (Cranston), Wallum Lake (Burrillville later called Zambarano), the Exeter School (later the Ladd School), harbor development and dock construction, a new state office building (now 2 Capitol Hill), additions to the airport at Hillsgrove (Warwick, later named T.F. Green Airport), and additions to the State College in Kingston (South Kingstown, now known as URI).
.02 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
No accruals are anticipated at this time.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script